The MG MGA was launched as the MG T-Series' replacement and was leaps ahead. To this day the MGA holds the record for th highest export percentage of any British car with only 5,000 or so bein sold in the U.K. The car was powered by the relatively new BMC B-Series type 4 cylinder engine from the MG Magnette saloon. The engine drove the back wheels via a 4-speed transmission and the car was in-touch with tarmac via independant coil-spring wishbone suspension at the front, semi-eliptic springs at the rear and a choice of either wire wheels or steel disc type wheels. The car was buit via the body-on-frame method, used all round drum brakes and utilised a 'rack-and-pinion' setup for the steering.
After successful initial sales began to slip, MG added a 1500 variant to the lineup. The MG MGA 1500 produced 68hp, before MG decided to up this further to 72hp. MG also produced a, MG MGA Coupe, further aiding dealers shift the now very popular MGA. MG also later added a Twin-Cam version, producing 108hp, this model was fitted with 4 wheel disk brakes. toward the late '50's MG also introduced a 1600 model. The MG MGA 1600 had front disk brakes but retained the drums at the rear and produced 78bhp. The 1600 also spawned the MGA 1600 De-Luxe, a car built using left-over extras from the now redundant Twin Cam model.
in 1961 the MG MGA MkII and De-Luxe MkII were introduced. Engine capacity was increased to 1622cc. The car was also modified to be more relaxed at high speeds, featured a new front grill and new rear tail laights from the Morris Mini.
Production of the MGA ceased in July of 1962, when the car was replaced with the MG MGB.